Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ritchie hits nail on the head

June 13, 2009 Edition 1

With respect to your article on June 6 in which you allege that the school has not been honest regarding the head boy, I would like to set the record straight.

The head boy of the boarding house and the head boy of the school are in fact two distinct individuals.

Kaizer Tabane is the school head boy and Tiro Makabate the boarding house head boy. You claim the school officially denied the positions were occupied by the same learner, which is correct.

Surely you, as the editor, have a responsibility to ensure your facts are correct before going to press?

Second, Pene Kimber was not the whistleblower in this whole event. The incident was reported to the headmaster who then instructed me, as head of boarding, to begin an investigation. Mrs Kimber was in fact alerted to the incident by me, a fact which I have evidence to support. This is a fact Mrs Kimber has conveniently forgotten to put forward.

Mrs Kimber alerted the press when she was not satisfied with the punitive and corrective measures taken by the disciplinary committee.

I look forward to your response.

Brent Saunders

Deputy Headmaster

I concede that I was wrong on the issue of the head boys. Pene Kimber, however, remains the person who blew the whistle to the media. - Kevin Ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment