Sunday, July 12, 2009

Parktown boys should be ashamed

The Star, March 05, 2009 Edition 1

I write from the United Kingdom, as a mother with an extremely heavy heart. I have recently been made redundant and have no way of getting back to SA at this very emotional time.

I have two sons at the Parktown Boys' High boarding school; one who started his first year in January and my eldest who was a victim of February 12's horrific initiation process.

How helpless I feel, being so far away and unable to get back to see him.

To my horror, my eldest son is still supporting what happened and has nothing bad to say about any of those brutes! I wonder why?

One can only guess. Does this really stop here?

As a Parktown school boy told The Star: "Initiation happens anyway! We are united like never before. This is a learning experience. No publicity is bad publicity. This has taught us to stick together. I think it was wrong for that boy to tell his mother." (The Star, February 24).

Personally, these words suggest further intimidation, and it concerns me. How do we ensure this has now definitely being "nipped in the butt"?

Seems all these old boy thugs and staff who encourage and condone this act hold the reins to these assaults…

So please, how does one control and monitor the intimidation that evidently keeps recurring?

The Education Department should visit the school unannounced and regularly.

Parents should also be made to inspect their children from head to toe to ensure this never happens again. It is our duty as parents to report abuse to the SAPS.

Our young boys, who we want to shape into cultured, intelligent and respectful young men to lead South Africa into the future, are too scared to say anything in fear of what might happen to them next!

Reading the responses and learning of the blogs and threats to Mrs Kimber and the like, you old boys aught to be ashamed of yourselves.

Teaching brutality to youngsters will not help them bond as a team. Teams are formed through trust, loyalty, dignity and respect!

Since when do you demand respect? You do not, you earn it. Wake up!

My younger son has had health issues since he was a baby, and I now sit in the UK and worry myself to death about this whole situation.

Right now, I desperately wish that financially I could get to SA to see my children and to personally thank Pene Kimber for taking such a brave stand.

My heart weighs heavily thinking about the events, and not being able to obtain reassurance of my children's future at Parktown Boys' High.

As a Christian, I can only hope that the head boy's apology and tears displayed on Carte Blanche on the February 22 were genuinely remorseful.

Let's see if he stands by what he says, and that he indeed brings immediate and effective change to these brutal initiations.

Let's see whether he keeps his word.

Personally, I believe that the perpetrators should all be expelled and the teacher dismissed.

Helen Morris Holness

United Kingdom


No comments:

Post a Comment