Sunday, July 12, 2009

Initiation not the problem, lack of discipline is the real worry

The Saturday Star,February 28, 2009 Edition 1

I HAVE been reading The Star for over 60 years, and believe that for the first time, you have been taken on a real "park trot" with the Parktown Boys' High issue.

Instead of The Star, the Education Department and the human rights people doing a flip-flop on this minor issue, they should be concentrating on the complete breakdown of discipline in this country.

Schoolboys carry knives to school and kill each other, they assault teachers, chase headmasters away and rob schools of equipment.

In my day, rapes of elderly women and babies were unheard of. But in my day, corporal punishment and initiation were part of life - and it built strong, disciplined, honest and proud young men. I spent my school years in a strict boarding school (not in Gauteng) where even the prefects could use the cane.

We respected our teachers, prefects and class captains and got on well with each other. And by the way foul language was not allowed, and nor was smoking.

South Africa is in crisis. Some of our leaders reflect this absolute lack of shame.

Many years ago, I saw the headline "Initiations banned". I rejoiced, until I found that it referred to schools and universities and not the tribal ones where innocent young boys lose their lives in the process. I feel for you, Parktown Boys' High, you don't deserve this bad publicity.

Alan C Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment